Friday, August 10, 2012

We had a problem today

We checked out more books at the library than we could carry!  Luckily, we could squeeze them all into our backpacks and bike baskets in the end!  Robyn was polite and asked the girl standing in line behind us if she'd like to go in front of us.  She declined, not realizing just how much we had!  The limit is 50 items, and we had 48, including books on CD and games.  (I love it that you can check out games here because you can try a bunch of different ones out for free).  We also have others from Macy's library.

The other morning, Macy woke up early and crawled in bed with me after Myles had already left for work.  We enjoyed reading English books together that a friend let us borrow.  Ahh, this is one of my favorite parts of summer vacation--not having to rush out the door in the morning, just having a chance to stay in bed with books, one more child climbing in at a time.

One of my favorite parts of summer vacation as a child was also going to the library and stocking up.  I loved whatever summer reading program they had.

Robyn wishes we lived even closer to her library.  She would like to live at one someday, or at least work there.  Then, I can check books out from her!  Perhaps, she'll even raise my limit :)

What are your favorite books now and from before?

4 comments:

Steph said...

Ah, we have that problem too. I made library bags for the kids for Christmas, but Lincoln's burst when he tried to carry 17 books home from the library. I seriously underestimated our need for industrial strength library bags.

I just read Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome. Jerome's sort of the British equivalent of Mark Twain-- roughly the same time period and same dry sense of humor. The book was very funny. I also enjoyed The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. It's a *very* entertaining and informative history of the English Language. Highly recommend it.

The boys just finished the Chronicles of Narnia. It made me so happy to see them enjoy those books as much as I did when I was a kid.

The girls each have their own libraries? Are the connected to their schools? I'm intrigued. (and jealous that you can check out games)

sarahflib said...

We live less than a block away from the library and it is AWESOME. I honestly love living that close. When we got our library cards, I asked the librarian what the limit was and she laughed and said, "I doubt you'll ever get close." We've never hit it yet, but she wasn't laughing as much the next time we went to the library and checked out 35 books. :)

I loved "Gone-away Lake" by Elizabeth Enright when I was a girl--and I still like to read it once a year.

The Robins Nest said...

Nice! I took the boys to the library last week and they love checking out all the books. I loved reading The Great Brain books. Love you guys! Tom

Kristin said...

Cute post. I have missed so much on here. I am thinking of coming back to the blogging world. :)

I love reading all about your life though. I think you are amazing Christy!!