Monday, January 10, 2011

Here's to "Someday"

I've always been a saver. Just ask my brothers, they'll tell you. Whenever they were in a pinch and needed some extra cash, say to order that pizza when Mom was away, they could always count on me. Whenever they were craving Halloween candy, and Easter hadn't arrived quite yet, they knew where to find my stash.

My brothers and I were raised by the same 2 parents, but somehow I think I came pre-packaged with that saving instinct. Myles did, too. Sometimes, this is really good, but sometimes, it's good to remember it's OK to just enjoy.

When Carly was born, one of his sisters gave us a wonderfully beautiful quilt. She made things very clear: "Don't feel like you have to keep this all pretty, or just to look at. Let her use it and love it, really, please."

I've found myself continuing to buy cute scrapbooking paper, only to stuff it somewhere until I have time to use it...someday.

Myles and I have found ourselves saying lots of times, "Oh, it would be fun to live in Brazil (where he was a missionary) or take you to Spain (where I studied abroad)...someday."

We also have an inside joke called "for now." It started in our first studio apartment. We were excited to open our wedding presents, only to look around in dismay, wondering where we'd put them! That's when we started saying, "We'll put this here, just for now." Of course, those "just for nows" turned into months and years.

That same sister-in-law of mine has a husband who builds houses for a living, and so they were used to moving around for awhile. She decided that when she moved into the house she's in now, she'd decorate it and make it hers, right away. Now, she's glad she did. We thought we'd be where we are "just for now" while Myles finished school. Eight years later, we're wondering why we never chose that color of paint, etc.

So, as we took down our Christmas decorations this year, with the possibility of some of our "somedays" becoming todays, I could let go of a lot of things, things I'd been saving. I felt joyful as I thought about people I knew who could enjoy things we wouldn't be needing or bringing to a tiny apartment across the ocean.

And, so, if you're able to visit, please do, and come quickly because I won't be saving that good German chocolate for...someday!

9 comments:

The Robins Nest said...

Hooray!!! I can't wait to talk to you!!!

Heidi said...

Beautifully put!

But i wish you weren't moving so far away -- book club needs it's founder! :)

scrumdiddillyumptious said...

Ok so this once a year call thing needs to improve. It sounds like you are moving? I need to call and just chat anyway. Congrats!

Britney said...

I'm so excited for you and your family. What an amazing adventure you have ahead of you!

Janell said...

Christie,
I love to read Kerrying On from the writers of Crucial Conversations. This strikes me as that quality. Thanks for taking time to increase your talents and my understanding of you and your family as well as my joy in a job well done.

Unknown said...

Okay Christie, your Christmas card said nothing of moving to Germany?! What is going on? You have to send me a little update...

Shapiro said...

We hope to come share the chocolate! But even more, the company!! :)
We've missed you guys since we moved. I loved your writing in this post Christie. I can't wait to purchase a signed copy of your first book of memoirs "some day!"
I'm grateful for the friendship we've saved and kept so well through the years! I'll miss you guys when we visit in Utah again... but you'll never be far away in spirit! We love you guys!

Kristin said...

Okay, i had a feeling my comment didn't come through so i had to come back and check before I got off for the night.

I ran through and got all caught up on your blog. Looks like you had a great holiday--except for the sickness. A fever of 105+--yikes, that's hot. Your poem about it all was pretty darn creative though.

Happy Anniversary to you both as well. Isn't it exciting to think what the future holds for you. Who knew you would be heading off to Germany in 2011. That is so incredible. I can't wait to read all about it. :-)

doodlebug said...

So excited for you new adventure in Germany! so glad I'll be able to "keep in touch" because of our blogs!