Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guten Morgen?

Here I am in our apt. in Germany utterly amazed that I slept so deeply our first night here, and that the girls are still sleeping in.

(We forced ourselves and the girls to stay awake until after dinner to help with our time-change transition).

When I woke up to light at 9 o'clock, I asked Myles if it was 9 AM. He said, "yeah," and headed off to the immigration office and then to his 1st day of work.

I took advantage of the quiet time, and kept thinking, "Man, it's going to be a rainy day," because it kept getting darker.

The moment it dawned on me to look at the time on the computer screen, which did in fact say PM, I heard Myles turning the key to our apt. and couldn't help but laugh!

Myles:
I saw beers and wine in people's hands and thought, "What is this, party central?" I guess they are getting ready for Ricky Martin... (He's coming to a stage across the street from our apartment this Saturday along with 100,000 fans.)

The embarrassing thing is how many clues I ignored. I kept thinking:
- This is a strange time zone to have sunrise at 9:00. I'm not used to seeing the moon at this time.
- Why is the foreigners' office closed, and why is the man sitting on the steps telling me it's Wednesday! I'm sure it's Thursday!
- Why are all the shops closed, even though all the bars are open? Oh yeah. On the sign it says the shops don't open until 10:00.
- Why are there so few kids at the school? I thought it was year-round here. Maybe they're closed for the same holiday as the foreigners' office.

When I finally asked a college student who looked tired what time it was.... (but college students ARE tired in the morning!)

At least I don't have to tell my new boss :)

I guess we're "Livin' la vida loca!"

Gute Nacht!

1 comment:

Ann said...

It's so exciting to hear from you. You made it! Yeah! I envy you all of your adventures and misadventures. Deep breaths these next few months until your souls catch up with your bodies.