Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Our Eight-Year-Old Christmas Gift that keeps on Giving

 


We knew we were having a girl. We knew she'd be Carly. Noel ended up being the surprise. She continues to surprise us with her thoughtfulness and creativeness every day.

A couple weeks ago, she woke up, exclaiming, "Mom! I dreamt all night about Christmas gifts!"
"Really?" I asked. "What are you excited about this year?"
"Oh, not for me, Mom. I dreamt all about what I could make for everyone."

For her B-day, I took her to a fun crafts store downtown to buy her supplies.

She put a note on her door, "Knock first," so no one would see their surprises, and has been busy ever since.

 

At school, she was given a part of a poem to memorize for her class Christmas Program/Party. She worked really hard and memorized it. I was impressed!

Then, we found out that our Visa renewal appointment downtown was an hour before her program time. Myles called to try to change it, and the lady pretty much laughed at him.  I really didn't want her to miss it, but there wasn't much I could do.

So, I prayed.

I expected my prayer to be answered with an extra speedy Visa renewal for 5 people.  When we had to wait, and then the fingerprinting machine was broken, and then we missed train after train, my stomachache worsened.

We still raced from the train in the rain to the school.  Carly's teacher met us at the door and told me something I couldn't understand.  I figured she was telling us it was all over.

What I didn't realize was that Carly's teacher had reversed the order of everything to give us the greatest possible chance of making it in time for Carly to do her part.  They also saved us seats right in the front.  This seemed to surpass all cultural norms.  And, so, Carly's teacher, along with all of her friends and their parents, gave us a gift we couldn't hold, but could always take with us.

I guess I have heard that time is only something that ties down man, not God.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carly your performance was outstanding! Bravo!!
Love Aunt Suz

Melissa B. said...

Wow, Aaron watched and said, "Holy Cow. I can't believe it. That is really cool!"

I said, "I can believe it. It's the Watson's."

Great job Carly and Mom for making it.