Monday, January 23, 2012

Timing

When I sat down to write about our first 6 months here, I found this post that I'd written about a year ago and never got around to publishing:

I wasn't surprised when I found this pic. on our camera. Lately, the most exciting thing in the world for the girls is when the hands align on the clock. They yell for everyone to look, and then jump up and down. Kids are good examples of noticing things we don't, of appreciating things that happen day in and day out, and of enjoying the present.

We usually think of kids as being impatient, but as an adult, I don't know if I'm much better. I want to know what's going to happen, and how, and where. I like to plan, prepare, know what to expect. It's hard not to be in control.

Sometimes, I wish I had a crystal ball, so I could just see and know and relax. But, then, other times I'm glad I didn't know what was going to happen, or I'd think, "I don't want that to happen!" or, "I could never do that!" Surprises of all the wonderful things to come would also be spoiled before they happened.

For years, we prayed for Myles to finish his project. It seemed like a good thing to pray for. But, then I started thinking that wasn't what we should be focusing on, it wasn't the whole point. There were other things to do and other people to help. We were still here for a reason. I couldn't see where we were going, but felt like we were being guided on the right path. I felt peace.

Just after Myles interviewed for jobs out of state, I was asked to be the leader over the teachers and children (ages 18 months-12 years) at church. I told our bishop, "That's fine, but we're moving soon." He said he prayed about it and felt like I was supposed to be the one to do that at that time. I got the same answer.

The companies told Myles they really liked him, but didn't have a specific place for him yet. That was over 3 years ago. Since then, the housing market has crashed (we're so glad we didn't buy in CA then), and I've been leading the teachers and children.

This past fall, when most people thought we were crazy for not looking for a job (including ourselves, at times), Myles felt like he should keep working on his project, and so he did. Because of this, he connected with a professor in Germany who does work in his area. A whirlwind of events literally blew open one door after the next for us, and we felt like that was where we're supposed to be.

I never felt the sorrow or devastation that I thought would surely overcome me for having to leave here without a PhD. This is just the next step. So, where I thought we'd have an ending, a new beginning awaits.

As the song goes, "the rest is still unwritten."

Now, today, one year later:

In some ways the past 6 months since we've landed have flown by.  In other ways, our "other life" feels like a world away.  Maybe because it is!

Although some days have been long, especially in the beginning, overall we've had a much easier time adjusting than I thought we might.  The girls haven't complained much, Myles' work is going well, and we've been blessed over and over again with friendly, helpful people.

We always said we could go anywhere as long as we had each other.  We just weren't expecting that "anywhere" to be so soon.

The other day, I was remembering that when we thought we might be moving to CA, the girls said things like, "No, way!  That's too far!  Can't we just stay here and you can work at K-mart, Dad?"  So, when we knew we were supposed to move to Germany, we were a little worried about their reaction.  But, they said things like, "Sure.  Isn't that over the ocean?  OK.  Can we start reading the Book of Mormon in German every day?"

With 6 month's worth of experiences behind us, we're able to laugh about some of our first few weeks of blunders that were anything but funny at the time.  Like when we were invited by some friends for lunch, only to walk a really long way to get there and realize we couldn't remember their last name, which you need to get "buzzed" into the building complex...to appearing homeless when we showed up with all of our stuff after 2 straight days of traveling in planes, trains and automobiles, only to discover that the lady with the keys to our apartment was sick that day...to snatching a man's keys out of his hands thinking he'd stolen ours...I'm noticing a pattern with keys here. 

Just yesterday, I caught myself walking the girls to school without noticing my surroundings.  I guess this is a sign of feeling settled in.

As for New Year's resolutions, we don't have to worry about getting more exercise, as long as we keep having trains to catch.  Myles said it would be pretty funny to have a video of us running to the train, watching it pull away, coming home, getting all our gear off, only to do it again!

A few days ago, Macy played at her friend's house from Poland while the mom and I talked with only German in common.  This morning, I found myself speaking Spanish to another friend, and tonight, we made Pita Pockets on bread from Italy.  This has been fun, meeting people and tasting food from all over the world.  And, yet, my moment of "the clock aligning" for me today was finding a post-it-note from Carly to Robyn on the bathroom mirror.

R-I love you.  You can use the little toothpaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As it says on the framed saying I have in our house, "Every new day is a gift. That's why we call it the present." I'm so glad you and the girls are able to enjoy each day. I'm really lookig forward to seeing you!
Love, Mom

s0l8n said...

Yay! I feel so excited to find this entry! About 5 years ago, I noticed the clock hands align and wondered how that worked. I am now building watches and clocks which demonstrate this alignment. The hand alignment happens 11 times every 12 hours. When my friends & family notice it, we all cheer ONCE!! ;)
My website is down right now, but you can look at my facebook site ::
https://www.facebook.com/eleven.hour.clock

If you or your kids have some ideas, I could put together a custom clock for you.

I love that your kids noticed this and that you appreciated it so much you wrote about it here. Thank You so much you beautiful kindred spirits! You made my night! And it was already going pretty great! :)

Aloha!
HuRa