Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Baby Blessings

It is a blessing to be having this baby in the first place.  After 6 years of riding the thyroid roller coaster, everything was finally calm enough to have a safe pregnancy.  If anyone had told me a few years ago that I'd be having another baby, and in Germany, I would've been quite surprised!  It's been interesting to see the differences in maternity care here so far.  I was blessed to find a super friendly and professional OBGYN in a great location for me to get to without a car.  I was bummed when I found out that she doesn't come to the birth, but really pleased with the staff I've met at the hospital where I'll deliver.  Here, the doctors are on duty, but the midwives pretty much do everything unless there are complications.  They have a lot of experience in doing what they do, which is nice.  They are also pretty supportive of natural births, and I'm looking forward to the benefits of laboring in water.  A midwife has already come for a home visit before the birth and will come a few more times after to check on me and the baby, help with nursing, etc.

It seems that every time I start feeling overwhelmed/stressed about the language and or getting ready for the birth or the baby, I'm blessed.  Just to name a few...

Our first open house at a hospital went fine, but not as well as I'd hoped.  I felt lost and wanted something more personal.  The second one we tried, I felt at home before even stepping inside the door.  Posted on the outside of the building was a sign with the name of the pediatrician who had the same first and last name as one of our friends (who is married to an American from home) and lives here in Germany.  It turns out that this hospital started out as a home that was donated by a family and they eventually built the clinic up and around it.  What could feel more homey than that?  We met in their living room with beautiful wood carvings and paintings for our info. mtg.

Baby stuff is very nice here, but also super pricey.  For example, a car seat stroller set runs about $1,000.  We've had friends offer us strollers, high chairs, cradles, cribs, etc.  A car seat and bouncer seat were the only 2 "big" items left on my list.  Obviously, a car seat is a must and a bouncer seat is just nice to have.  I like to put the baby in one while I'm trying to take a shower.  Anyway, after looking at new ones, I gave up on that because they are ridiculously expensive.  I ended up finding one at a garage sale, but wondered how I'd get it home on my bike.  I thought I'd probably have to walk it home and then come back for my bike.  Right when I was getting ready to leave, our neighbors showed up (with a car) and offered to bring it home for me.

Another day, when Macy and I were walking across the neighborhood to bring the homework to a boy from her class who was sick, we ran into a mom who asked us if we needed a car seat.  She currently had it listed online, but hadn't had any takers yet.  She gave it to me for an even lower price than she had it listed, which was the amount of money I happened to have in my coat pockets!  So, I brought it home with me right then.

Sometimes, it pays to procrastinate.  I noticed that onesies would be on sale at a store by us, but hadn't made it over there yet.  I was worried they'd be gone (every week, they get something new).  But, right before I went, Carly's friend brought over a box of baby clothes, including lots of onesies!

Now that everything's ready, we can't wait to meet this little babe!


2 comments:

scrumdiddillyumptious said...

I love that you found do much!! It is neat to see His hand helping out. I'm sure you can relax now that janell is there. Congrats that all is going so well in the unusual circumstances you are in. I thank you for journaling so well. Love you all.

Sherry said...

You are certainly being blessed, which is wonderful since you and your family are a blessing to many.
I can't wait to hold your new baby and see everyone!
Love,
Mom