Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ivy May--a growing influence

 
I can't complain.  Ivy normally sleeps really well at night.  But, somehow, her last feeding usually works out so that I get back to sleep about a half an hour or so before it's time to be up for the day.  So, this morning when I woke up to it raining buckets, let's just say I definitely had the thought, "Maybe we should just stay home."

While attempting to get things ready in the kitchen, Macy looked up at me with wonder and asked, "Are you and Ivy coming with us today?  For the whole time?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Oh, that's so wonderful!" she exclaimed.

Of course my decision was made.

The girls were super excited to help her get on her Sunday best.  They first put on a onesie she'd worn just a few days before only to discover it was now too short to snap.

We were ready to run just in time to catch our train...and just in time for the clouds to part.

Some people say they like to leave the hospital as soon as possible after having a baby.  I've always been glad to stay as long as they'll let me.  Besides not having to cook or clean, etc, I've recently thought about what it really is that makes me want to stay.

After baby number 4, I think I'm finally beginning to catch on.  When a baby is born, time has a way of standing still.  Babies bring a unique peace with them.  The moment I step foot outside the hospital, everything is already in motion, and I'm whirled right back into it again.  There's so much going on, so much to do, so much to remember.

I'm grateful for a seven-year-old's genuine joy, the first onesie thrown into the too-small-pile, and a dry dash in the middle of a storm as reminders of that peace and the one who sent it with her.

4 comments:

sarahflib said...

I can't remember if I've left a comment about your dear little baby before, but I've certainly been enjoying every single picture and all the stories you've had to share! Ivy is just so cute and such a little sweetie. And her name was actually on our short list with our last baby, so obviously I'm in love with it. :)

I totally hear you about enjoying the hospital stay. Of course it's nice to get home for other reasons, but there's something about being AWAY that is just nice for focusing on that new little baby.

Sherry said...

I like your comment about time standing still.
Time should be suspended for every newborn and mom!
Gram

Shapiro said...

You should write a book Christie!
I love your simple words of wisdom. I whole heartedly agree with your "glad to stay as long as I can" thought - and I think for the same reason... Life gets busy and it's nice to hold still and be still and feel that slowness for a few precious days and weeks as you lay low and stay home and soak up this precious new person. I hope you are all doing well! Wish I was there to bring a flower, a dinner, and a hug and get to hold that
beautiful sweetie!

Kam Belly Soup said...

i should be focused on the fact that ivy is amazing and beautiful, but i cannot stop thinking about the fact that macy is 7 years old! what!!!!!