Saturday, June 6, 2009

Swim into Summer!


The girls are lovin' swim lessons again. Macy (who I did Mom and Tots with last summer) is excited that she's big enough to go to her own class now. Robyn's hoping to get herself to jump off the diving board this time around! We figured out that it was helpful to tell Carly to pretend like the water was a Kleenex and that she should "blow her nose" to get those bubbles to come out.

I remember having such a hard time with diving, until my Uncle Mike told me to pretend that the water was like a gymnastics mat and all I had to do was a handstand on it. It worked perfectly! (His daughters were like fish from a very young age). I also have fond memories of him teaching me the art of drip sand castles at Wilmington with my cousins.

I told the girls about swim caps and how nice it is that they don't have to wear them like I did. Man, those things gave me such a headache and were always such a pain! One time, I left mine on the seat of our station wagon. I later found it in much different shape. It had melted!

I also remember buying a book of tickets to go to our local pool. It only cost us $.35 to get in, even for swim lessons! I guess the pool wasn't heated, but still! And, I guess I did fear for my life when I was attempting to swim across the deep end and my teacher was talking to her boyfriend. But, I did later end up becoming a lifeguard and swim instructor myself, so I guess the scarring wasn't too permanent.

2 comments:

The Robins Nest said...

I always LOVED swim lesson! I'm excited to see all the new skills at Camp Grammy.

Kara said...

I'll have to remember that Kleenex trick. That cracks me up. Hooray for swim lessons.