Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jennifer Holm


I have to admit that when I heard Jennifer Holm and her brother, Matthew, author and illustrator of Baby Mouse would be the featured presentation at our local book fair, I wasn't super excited. Graphic novels just aren't my thing. What I didn't realize was that Jennifer Holm won a Newberry Honor for her book Our Only May Amelia! Robyn read it before I had a chance to read it with her. I think I could appreciate it, growing up with only brothers, just like Jennifer did, and the character Amelia who was inspired by the life of one of Jennifer's aunts. I'd also like to read her newest book, Turtle in Paradise.

I had to laugh when I was reading her bio online. She remembers liking to read as a child more than just about anything else. She'd rake leaves with a rake in one hand and a book in another. This morning, Robyn was sweeping the same way.

It was fun to meet this down-to-earth author.

1 comment:

Britney said...

Don't tell my boys. We couldn't go and Anders was really hoping to meet them. I'm glad she's so down to earth. I love that.