Monday, March 21, 2011

Call me old fashioned...

but I was just thinking about how sad I was when they came out with those Self-Check-Out stations at the grocery store, and especially at the library. Yeah, I went to the library to find new treasures, but often the best treasure I discovered was while talking with the librarians who checked out my books for me. They'd say things like, "Oh, that was a good one. Have you tried xyz yet?"

Besides missing out on this wisdom and enriching social interaction, I've since had to referee fights with the kids about who gets to check out how many books, while trying to keep track of which ones really have been checked out so we don't get surprised by the beeping security system on our way out.

After a similar experience at the grocery store (with the place where you scan things also being a scale so nobody can touch it), I avoid the Self-Check line like the plague, even when other lines are longer.

I realize these modern technologies are more efficient (at least for most people) which helps us save money, but I guess I miss the good ol' days, which my nine-year-old fondly remembers as "The time when people used to talk to us instead of their cellphones." (But, that's another story).

3 comments:

scrumdiddillyumptious said...

I totally agree with you!!! About self check out as well as modern tech. The kids have no idea how to be social cause they rather text than talk.
Also, I figure that the stores aren't reducing their fees when we use self check out so Why should I? I call it lets save a job.

Shapiro said...

Amen Christie! :)

Than and Erica said...

Hey this is Erica. I was catching up on your crazy life and had to say that when I lived in Michigan, I loved Aldi! It was the best! And you had to put in a quarter to use a shopping cart but you got it back when you returned it. I thought that that was pretty smart! Good luck with all of your new adventures!