Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kinder (child) + Spiel (play) + Platz (place) = Kinderspielplatz (playground)

The German language is so fun! They love compound words. Not just 2 word compound words, but 3, 4 plus. So, at first, when I saw "Kinderspielplatz" on a sign, I was like, "What the?" But, once I learned each word, it made sense.

One man told us that they expect parents in Germany to watch their children and be responsible for them, so they will have some fun playground equipment there that we won't allow in The States. He seemed to be describing some kind of a swinging teeter totter that was really fun.

When I saw this "natural" playground at one of the international schools, I had to take a picture for my friend who is trying to convince a local school of the benefits this kind of a playground gives to kids for walking on uneven levels, etc.

We thought these outdoor ping pong tables were pretty sweet.


We had to take this pic. for our girls and one of my aunts. They enjoyed a park with a similar pulley system by her house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your friend will never get an uneven playground. It's called liability and I can make money when I sue.