Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our "German" Baby


I was able to bring Miss Ivy May into the world via one of the traditional German ways--naturally in water.  This is not something I thought I would ever try to do or want to do, but the more I researched it, the more excited I became to try it, and it ended up being my best labor, delivery, and recovery yet! 

Of course, everything here is measured in grams and centimeters.  When they said her head was 37.5 cm that didn't mean much to me, but they said that was big.
She was 54 cm long (21 inches)
and weighed 3,670 grams (8 lb 4 oz)

Here at the hospitals, the Hebammes (midwives) are in charge, and the doctors are just there, if needed. This hebamme, along with the others who helped, were so nice and made me feel really comfortable.  One of them who was in training got tears in her eyes when Ivy arrived.

Here she is with her little German hat and outfit, provided by the hospital.

After the birth, I was really craving something cold like a popsicle or ice chips to soothe my throat.  They said, "Sorry, we don't have anything American like that."  So, Myles ran down the street to the Italian ice cream shop and brought me back some lemon gelato.

I thought her hospital bed was so cute.  It wasn't until we were almost leaving that I realized it's meant to be functional as well as cute.  Bundling your baby up and going outside is OK, but letting a draft in on them from the window while they are inside is not.

Again, it's a big deal to keep your baby warm.  First, a shirt that ties in the front, then a sweater over that one that ties in the back, then the outfit.  Cute, but a bit of a pain for diaper changes without any snaps. 

After the birth, we moved floors and changed hands from the Hebammes to the Krankenschwesters (nurses) who nicknamed her "Blondie."  They said it's unusual for a baby who is blonde to have so much hair.

We couldn't believe how good the hospital food was!  Myles and I joked that we were staying at a resort.  We were extra blessed that the 3 of us got to stay in a family room together and eat together for our entire stay.  If it had been more crowded, I could have been sharing with another mother and baby instead.

A sampling of a couple of desserts. 

We thought that she'd have dual citizenship.  It turns out that she either has to have a German parent or  have non-German parents living in Germany for at least 7 years and give up her American citizenship.  So, she's just American. 

I love this picture because Myles has held each of our babies this way as long as he can.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations Christie and Myles!!! Ivy is absolutely beautiful and perfect! I am amazed that you were able to do a natural birth, in water no less, much more brave than I--kudos!
Crazy that time goes by, I remember when Macy was born and now she is 7!
Congrats and enjoy your sweet little babe!
love,
rach

KC Crouch said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful, and such a wonderful blessing for your family. Yay for water birth! I just had a water birth too, and it really is so great!

stacyross said...

Congratulations, Christie! Little Ivy is just beautiful. I'm happy to hear you had a good birth experience. I hope you and Myles and all your girls are settling into your new routine! Congrats again!

Katia said...

She is beautiful, congrats!!!!!

A Roper said...

She is so beautiful Christie! I'm so glad to hear you had a good experience with your water birth. I wanted to do that with Liberty, but once I got in the tub, I couldn't focus and wanted out. :) She is so precious. I wish we were closer so I could hold her and give you a big hug! Maybe I'll just have to hop on a plane when I'm done nursing Lacey! :)

Unknown said...

Congrats. We are so happy for you. She is beautiful. 4 girls... how fun.