Friday, July 30, 2010

Road Trip

There are some things you can see and do (besides save a couple thousand bucks) on a road trip that you just couldn't do if you were flying.

As you can see, Myles is hand feeding squirrels. (I reminded him that they were wild animals, NOT pets). We were surrounded by these guys at a fun park in Cheyenne with a big pond, playgrounds, and art gallery, where we even saw a pelican. We were sad we just missed their rodeo days.

Most people thought we were crazy to attempt the 21-hour car ride (each way without stops). My brothers reminded me of our "fond" childhood memories of making the same trip in our old station wagon. Those who sat in the back (which was extra hot) got cooperation quarters if they didn't complain.

Our girls did really well. They enjoyed making and playing with finger puppets. Myles read The Phantom Toll Booth. We also listened to The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Junie B. Jones, part of The Black Stallion, and Bill Cosby's stand-up. (His Chocolate Cake is one of our favorites)! Grammy equipped them with their own bags full of stuff to do on the ride home.

We had fun stopping for picnics and treats along the way. I had to take pics. of this safari-themed McDonald's in Iowa City because when I was a little girl, I dreamed of having my very own monkey room. My mom told me I could have one when I grew up and had my own place. I haven't made one yet. Surprising.

No comments: