Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just Because

My college room-mates used to tease me because every time they'd make a cake, I'd ask, "Who's Birthday is it?" They'd always say, "Does it have to be someone's B-day to make a cake?"

I've had many experiences lately that have made me appreciate Myles more and more. So, even though it's not his B-day or our anniversary, I want to tell him how much I love him, just because.

It hit me pretty hard the other day while standing on my grandma's porch with Macy singing Happy B-day to her that my grandpa was happy we were doing that for her because he's not here anymore to get to do it himself.

So, maybe it's because our youngest just graduated from her car seat into a booster, or because I've been seeing signs like, "Big Divorce, Big Garage Sale Ahead" and "Happily Single, finally!" that I'm more aware of the speed of our days and the fragility of some relationships, wanting to embrace mine a little tighter.

Although our house is still a work in progress, it's definitely a home. And, on that day that the washing machine was having problems and the vacuum cleaner wouldn't work, I could say, "It's OK because we have each other and we're not broken!"

When I see college students texting and flirting, hoping for a good match, I wonder if they know the meaning of love. That it's coming home to a husband up to his elbows in a triple batch of zucchini bread because his mother has taught him to bake and not to waste, and he loves her, and he loves his wife who was too tired and too busy to do anything with the zucchini that day, or even that week. It's having your preschooler light up like it's Christmas morning because this same amazing man took her on a special Daddy Daughter date to celebrate that she's done sucking her thumb. I want to let them know that true love is having a sleepless night (again) and waking up to school lunches already made, giving you a little extra time to get your girls' hair ready for picture day.

So, go ahead and make a cake today...just because.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Beautifully put, Christie. True love is sharing (and) enjoying all of the mundane details of life together-- not so much the constant fairy tale that Hollywood wants us to believe in.

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

Christie--I loved this post. I'm actually a littly weepy right now, truth be known. That Myles is definetely one in a million!! I think he's a pretty lucky guy too. : )I think I'm going to go give my boys hugs and kisses right now.

Wesley said...

Such a beautiful post. I just love you guys!

Anonymous said...

t's such a tickety-boo site. imaginary, acutely fascinating!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.hollman.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,1854/]opony[/url]