Saturday, October 16, 2010

Rest Home

On the first day of preschool when Macy was building with blocks, she didn't make a house or a castle. She made a rest home. This is a place we visited with Grammy. At first, we didn't know the people and weren't quite sure what to do. But, before long, we felt right at home. I watched a woman who never said a word, start singing along with us to an old song she knew. I watched a nurse get teary eyed. I watched our girls "dance" with the "grandmas." Our girls started asking when we could go again.

Since reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova, I feel an even greater love for these people who have lived wonderful lives and are now prisoners to their aging bodies.

Macy put it well when she said, "Mom, that lady is SO old, but she used to be four someday just like me."

1 comment:

Mike said...

love love love this tradition!