Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just Knock

Today was one of those days. I overslept and shot out of bed, landing in a disastrous kitchen. While doing dishes so I could get to the toaster, I splattered something all over myself.

Before I could pop the toast in, I heard a little voice whine, "Not cold cereal again. We have that every day!" And another voice pleading, "I want German pancakes with peaches."

I thought, "What the heck? The place has already exploded, what's a few more dishes?" Besides, those who had to be at work and school were already gone, so why not enjoy a special "weekend breakfast" right now with those of us left?

"Sure," I said.

Before I could change my mind, the girls grabbed bags and went out to the front yard to pick peaches.

By the time it was ready (or so I thought), we were pretty hungry. Unfortunately, I forgot that the pan I usually use had previously hit the tile floor, so I had to use a smaller pan. They were thicker and not quite done in the middle.

Carly commented on how nice it was that nobody had taken our peaches this year. I told her that they were much smaller (someone asked me if they were apricots), and we didn't get as many, but yes, it was nice that we didn't seem to have any robbers.

She continued, "Dad would always tell them, 'if you'd just knock and ask me, I would share them with you, and they're not ripe yet, anyway.' "

Right when she said that, a scripture popped into my mind. "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (St. Matthew 7: 7-8).

The Lord loves us so much and has so many blessings he wants to give us; all we have to do is ask! He also knows when the timing is best for us, too.

Although my day started out as a whirlwind, and not everything went as planned, that one thought helped me enjoy the sweet blessings sitting right beside me.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great analogy!! And what a great mom you are to make German pancakes for your girls especially after the way the morning started! what a good example you are to me!

Steph said...

Sweet. Thanks for the reminder of God's love for us. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering that when I deal with my own kitchen disasters first thing in the morning.

Ann said...

You always have such a great attitude. That's why I like being around you.

Julia said...

What a cute story!

I just saw your comment on my blog! It's so fun to catch up with your great family. Looks like you are all doing so well!