Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our Weekend of Bees!

Robyn made it through 15 rounds of the K-3 spelling bee and took 5th place, but it wasn't her place that made me proud. She told me that she had stage fright, which is why she doesn't take dance, but that after a few rounds she was able to not be scared any more. I also helped her try to realize that the reason there are spelling bees is to be challenged. If she already knew all the words, there wouldn't be any reason to have a spelling bee.

That night, Myles and I watched The Secret Life of Bees--heavy subject matter, but great movie! I also liked the book.

The day after the spelling bee felt like the first Sat. in forever that we didn't have lots to do or places to be. We relaxed in our jammies all morning. Robyn and Carly set up an art studio for Myles and I to visit in our basement. They gave us a flyer (is that flier?) with the hours and a number if we had any questions. I had to smile because "questions" was one of the words that Robyn learned for the spelling bee. We both had to smile when we heard our alarm clock going off at the time that the studio was to open.

We paid our admission at the door, admired Macy's chalk drawing, took lessons from Carly, and chose something from their gift shop.

That night, we had a surpise visit from Bee Money, a "Provo icon," as defined by U-Tube. The one-man-band rapper actually lived in Myles' neighborhood when he was single. He was selling his CDs and T-shirts door to door. We were just about to sit down for Leftover Delight Night, and he was glad to join us.

Tonight, we had flatbread with peanut butter, honey, and bananas to top off our weekend of bees. I wonder what next weekend will bring...

2 comments:

Britney said...

Congrats Robyn!!

Sounds like a great weekend.

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

I like the Secret Life of Bees as well . . .the book that is. I'm glad to hear you liked the movie. I'll have to check it out. Your family is so cute!